Nostrification: Higher education recognition

1. Two forms of recognition of foreign education in the Czech Republic.

There are two forms of recognition of foreign education in the Czech Republic.

A. Nostrification

  • Nostrifikace je doklad o obecném uznání zahraničního vysokoškolského vzdělání v České republice.

    Nostrification is a document of general recognition of foreign higher education in the Czech Republic.

  • Vydávají veřejné vysoké školy, Ministerstvo školství, mládeže a tělovýchovy nebo Ministerstvo vnitra a Ministerstvo obrany.

    It is issued by public universities, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport or the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Defence.

  • Poplatek 3 000 Kč se hradí veřejné vysoké škole nebo MŠMT, které posouzení provádějí.

    The fee of CZK 3,000 is paid to the public university or the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport that carries out the evaluation.

B. Recognition of higher education by a university

  • It is carried out at a university which has been granted institutional accreditation.

  • This recognition is only valid at the respective university and its particular faculty.

  • Recognition is done in accordance with the Rector's policy, the respective university's guidelines and the procedures of its particular faculty. In the context of the recognition of foreign secondary education by a university and its faculty, there is no comparison of the number of hours taught in individual subjects or the requirement of recognition examinations.

  • Fees are paid separately to each faculty in the admission procedure according to the conditions of the admission procedure and the faculty's fee settings.

  • The university/faculty may order the applicant to undergo the nostrification procedure (see Nostrification).

2. Required documents

You will need these documents for recognition of your foreign education so you must bring them with you to the Czech Republic:

  1. The original (or 2 certified copies1) of the diploma and the diploma supplement (if part of the diploma).

  2. The original (or 2 certified copies) of the list of all examinations (credits) taken during the entire period of study (if this information is in the diploma supplement, it is enough to bring only the diploma supplement).

  3. The thesis (no translation or certification required).

  4. Syllabi of the individual subjects are also recommended (some faculties require them).

  5. Doctoral applicants must submit their dissertation topic in order to establish contact with the relevant faculty and to determine where the doctoral study is feasible.

You can also bring the documents needed to have your secondary education recognised in case your university degree is not recognised and you have to apply for a bachelor's programme again.


The course fee includes assistance with one recognition (i.e. either a high school certificate or a university diploma)

3. Authentication of documents

Documents must have the appropriate level of legalisation (this varies from country to country!).

  • In some cases, only a lower level of legalisation (apostille) is required, i.e. the stamp of the competent authority (e.g. Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Ministry of Justice). This applies to countries that participate in the Hague Convention of 1961, e.g. Azerbaijan, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Tajikistan. A list of all countries can be found here.

  • In other countries, a higher level (superlegalization) is required, i.e. an additional verification by the Czech embassy.

  • In some countries, there is a so-called document equivalency, where legalisation is not necessary.

    Currently, document equivalency applies to the following countries, for example: Belarus, Russia, Moldova, Ukraine, Uzbekistan. Information on countries among which the recognition of equivalence of documents applies (Treaty on Legal Assistance and Legal Relations in Civil, Family and Criminal Matters) can also be found here.

If you are uncertain, please contact the Embassy of the Czech Republic in your country.

4. Translation of documents into Czech

All documents for recognition of foreign education must be translated into Czech. Please note, that translations can only be provided by a translator who is registered in the list of court translators in the Czech Republic. Translations by other translators, even certified ones, are not accepted by Czech institutions.

We will be happy to arrange the correct translation of documents into Czech for you.



The authorities keep certified copies of the documents. However, you must bring the originals with you because some authorities require them for inspection. You can make certified copies in the Czech Republic (certification of 1 page = 30 CZK + 21% VAT, i.e. approx. 1.5 EUR).

Last change: September 29, 2022 05:55 
Share on: Facebook Share on: Twitter
Share on:  
Contact us online

General Contact
+420 224 990 411

Support Contact - Courses:
+420 224 990 420
+420 778 754 481

Support Contact - Exams for Permanent Residency:
+420 224 090 210

Support Contact - Exams for Citizenship:
+420 224 990 451

Support Contact - CCE Exams, Exams for Faculty of Medicine, MOCK TESTS:
+420 224 990 451

ID No.: 00216208, VAT No.:  CZ00216208

Data Box ID: piyj9b4

Connect with us

How to Reach Us

The Institute for Language and Preparatory Studies of Charles University (ILPS CU) 

Vratislavova 29/10

128 00 Prague 2

Czech Republic