How do I apply for a visa?
Following payment in full of the course fees + deposit for accommodation (if in your application form you expressed an interest in reserving a place in university accommodation), you will receive an email from the central study department containing confirmation of your payment. .
Together with the confirmation of payment, an appointed advisor will ask you to send the address (remember to always give the full address including post code and telephone number – if you wish your documents to be sent by DHL express post), where the original documents necessary for a study visa/residency permit for the Czech Republic will be sent upon being issued.
If you would like your documents to be sent by DHL, familiarise yourself with the short instructions here.
If you are uncertain as to whether you need to apply for a long-term visa or a residency permit, check whether the country of which you are a citizen appears on the LIST OF COUNTRIES WHOSE CITIZENS ARE SUBJECT TO VISA REQUIREMENTS.
An explanation of the difference between an application for long-term residency and a residency permit can be found here.
An application for a visa for a stay of more than 90 days (visa type D) / residency permit can be submitted only at the embassy / consulate general of the Czech Republic in the country of which the applicant is a citizen or in which he/she has been granted long-term or permanent residency, or in which he/she has been issued travel documents.
In the attached list of countries, please make sure that you are not a national of a country which is entitled to also file an application for a long-term visa or residency permit at another embassy.
The list of documents necessary for an application for a long-term visa or residency permit can be found here.up
A sample completed application form can be found here. THE APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED IN CAPITAL LETTERS IN THE LATIN ALPHABET.
Students who are applying for a long-term study visa should enter as the purpose STUDY at point 28 on the form (students who are applying for a visa under the purpose OTHER – intensive language courses without specialist studies – should enter as the purpose OTHER at point 28 on the form).
The application form for a long-term residency permit (purpose of stay: study) can also be found on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the Czech Republic in English. A sample completed application form can be found here. THE APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED IN CAPITAL LETTERS IN THE LATIN ALPHABET.
We recommend that you complete the application before a personal meeting with an employee of the embassy.
The application must be submitted to the embassy / general consulate of the Czech Republic in person. The application must be submitted to the embassy / general consulate of the Czech Republic in person. Applicants need to register for the individual interview in advance using the VISAPOINT system (registration takes place on the website www.visapoint.eu). Once the student has completed registration on the VISAPONT system, he/she will receive an email request to confirm the registration. If registration is not confirmed within 60 minutes, the appointment expires (to become available for the next applicant)!
You can still register for the interview using the VISAPOINT system before receiving all the documents from the central study department (we recommend this especially for students registering for an interview at the end of March or later) – of course, only after you have completed payment and know that you will receive all original documents necessary for the long-term visa application / residency permit by express post from the central study department within 2-3 weeks and you already have all other necessary confirmations (financial checks and a statement from the criminal records bureau – the statement is required from the country in which the applicant is a citizen as well as any countries the applicant has been resident in for a period of 6 months of longer in the last 3 years).up
All the documents issued by the central study department of ILPS CU (confirmation of acceptance to study, study agreement, accommodation agreement - if you have reserved accommodation when completing the online application and have paid a deposit), will be in Czech.
Other documents must be officially translated into Czech. The following documents are affected:
- Statement from the criminal records bureau
- Confirmation of financial ability - you must have at least 85,800 CZK in your account for 12 months (for students under 18 years the amount is halved, i.e. 42,900 CZK). In the case of an application for a long-term visa, you must have at least 59.400 CZK (for students under 18 years the amount is halved, i.e. 29,700 CZK)
- If necessary, written permission from the parents for students under 18 years (the form is available from a solicitor in your country)
WE CAN ARRANGE FOR THE TRANSLATION OF YOUR DOCUMENTS (more information here).up
APPLICATIONS FOR A LONG-TERM VISA / RESIDENCY PERMIT for year-long courses (beginning September ) MUST BE SUBMITTED BY THE END OF MAY AT THE LATEST (please note that the final submission via VISAPOINT can take up to more than a month, if there are a number of applications in that year - more than the embassy can accept). The whole process of processing the application for a long-term study visa or residency permit for study purposes takes at least 60 days based on the Act on the Residency of Foreign Nationals in the Czech Republic (in the case of an application submitted for a long-term visa for the purpose OTHER - language courses without specialist studies - you should allow a longer time for the completion of the process: usually 90-120 days).up
- Register for one of our courses
- Pay the tuition fees - (if applicable, also the deposit for accommodation and any health insurance costs)
- Receipt of documents from the central study department of ILPS CU (confirmation of acceptance to study, study agreement, also the accommodation agreement and health insurance contract - if you have requested these services) in Czech. In addition, advisors from the study department will also send students under 18 years (those students who will turn 18 after the start of the course) 2 study contracts (one for the parents to keep and the second to be signed by at least one parent and which the student then brings to registration) and a form confirming the parents' agreement to the arrival, study and accommodation of their underage son/daughter (the signature on this form must be verified by a solicitor and the student should then return the form upon arrival).
- At the respective office request the statement from the criminal records bureau
- Request from your bank confirmation of the amount in your account - together with confirmation from the bank as to the appropriate amount in your account (see above), submit this to the staff at the embassy / general consulate along with a copy of an international payment card (VISA/MASTERCARD)
- Arrange translations of the above-mentioned documents (TRANSLATIONS CAN BE ORDERED FROM US!)
- Complete the long-term visa/residency permit application (include two passport-sized photos with your application)
- Make two copies of all the documents (including the page of your passport with personal information)
- Register for an interview using the VISAPOINT system (www.visapoint.eu)
Please note! Take with you to the interview the contract for agreed health insurance for foreigners (if you already have it) – DO NOT GIVE AWAY THE ORIGINAL; only submit a copy of the contract to the embassy/general consulate employee.
Good luck at the interview!
If you have any questions concerning the visa application process please contact an advisor at the central study department or ask your questions on the FORUM.