Summer School of Slavic Studies
The Summer School of Slavic Studies is designed for the general public, from beginners to more advanced students. At the beginning of the course, participants are received by a high-ranking official of Charles University in the historical and medieval Carolinum building.
This course is designed as intensive with focus on the Czech language and area studies. The optional afternoon programme consists of lectures held in Czech and English, showing Czech films, cultural and sport activities. It takes place in the Podebrady Study Centre, about 40 kms from Prague.
At the end of the course, the participants will receive a certificate specifying the level of their knowledge of Czech (levels A1–B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference). This fact will be also acknowledged in the European Language Passport. The certificates will be received in the representative rooms of the castle. The participants are also welcomed to sit for the Czech Language Certificate Exam (the exam fee is not included in the price of the course). University and college students can receive a detailed description of the course to be given credits by their home institution.
Minimum age requirement for attending courses is 18 years (Younger persons may attend the courses only when accompanied by their parent).
In special cases, a shorter term (than the official terms shown above) can be negotiated and approved in advance.
For detailed information on other courses, please, click here.
Accommodation is reserved in the Poděbrady student hostel on the street ulice Jana Opletala (a five-minute walk from the study centre) in two-bed rooms with ensuite. Accommodation in single rooms or appartments are available for a surcharge. In certain circumstances, with prior arrangement, you may also be allowed to bring pets with you.
- Two-bed room with ensuite: 152 EUR/duration of course or 135 CZK/night
- Single room with ensuite: 225 EUR/duration of course or 200 CZK/night
- Visitors in two-bed room (relative): 645 CZK/day
Payment for accommodation has to be made by bank transfer before the beginning of the course. Scholarship holders have accommodation reserved for them in two-bed rooms.
Additional programme (optional)
- Series of lectures focused on the Czech Republic both in Czech and English – geography and history and the lectures on Czech literature, film, music, visual art – consequently visits to museums and galleries (entrance fees not included in the price of the course).
- Sport and cultural activities (ping-pong, volleyball, bowling, cinema, theatre) and meeting native speakers.
- We are happy to book spa treatments for you (the price for the treatments is not included in the course fee – students must pay for the treatments extra.)
- A historical tour of the Carolinum, a meeting with the Charles University officials.
- Outings and excursion visits to places in the Czech Republic if students are interested (extra fees not included).
Students interested in Czech cinematography are welcome to attend afternoon lectures and workshops as well as screenings of Czech films. The course's syllabus includes lectures and seminars on the history and development of Czech theatre. Should there be a high demand, we will also open a theatre seminar that will give course participants an opportunity to improve their Czech by staging their own performance.
3. 7. – 28. 7. 2017
EUR 760 (tuition and course material)
|Number of lessons per week|
5 Czech lessons in the morning (8.30–13.00) – one Czech lesson is 45 minutes
Jiriho namesti 1/I
Variable Symbol: 412
We offer discounts up to 100 euro! For more information click on Detailed Information on this page.
|Application||It is not possible to apply at this time.|